When you think of ravioli your mind likely wanders to ricotta filled pasta with a red sauce. We aren’t saying there is anything wrong with that, but we are saying that there is much more to the ravioli world if you let yourself explore.
One of the best parts about the classic Italian dish is its versatility. You can stuff the basic dough with thousands of flavors from savory to the much less common sweet filling.
You ready to put your adventurous hat on? Here are 10 non-traditional ravioli fillings you must try.
1. Buffalo Chicken Ravioli from The Food in my Beard
The classic bar food flavor takes an Italian twist and we give it full praise.
2. Bacon Ravioli with Mushrooms from Food Network
Everything is better with bacon: We recommend swapping out this recipe with turkey bacon.
3. Pear, Goat Cheese and Thyme Ravioli from The Grains of Paradise
Really everything about this sounds heavenly.
4. Lemon Ricotta Ravioli from Bakerita
Spring has sprung…on your plate. The only thing missing is a handful of blueberries mixed in.
5. Sweet Potato Ravioli from A Cozy Kitchen
No one said you can’t have a taste of Thanksgiving right now.
6. Arugula Ravioli from Smitten Kitchen
It may come as a surprise, but not all raviolis have to be stuffed with cheese. We are obsessed with this veg stuffed version of ravioli.
7. Cocoa and Roasted Hazelnut Butter Ravioli from Gourmetician
This may sound like a dessert, but the second you bite in you won’t miss your savory dinner at all.
8. Asparagus Ravioli from Oh My Veggies
These ‘olis are beautiful in their whole wheat, roasted asparagus, pan-seared cremini mushroom glory.
9. Chicken Tikka Masala Ravioli from Taste for Adventure
This ravioli is filling is a major wow. We know that ravioli is an Italian dish, but this Indian twist is perfection.
10. Beet Ravioli with Poppy Seeds from Epicurious
Talk about an untraditional ravioli! The sweet beet flavor is one you will dream about after you taste it.
BONUS: Zucchini Ravioli from Live, Laugh and Low Carb
We know this isn’t a ravioli per se, but we love the playful aspect of these zucchini raviolis. If you still want the dough you can put all of these ingredients inside!
What is your favorite ravioli filling? Which one of these flavors are you most excited to try?