This article was originally published on Haute Talk and republished here with permission.
Your healthy New Year’s resolutions may seem like a distant memory, but since it was only 3 months ago you were making health vows to yourself we’ll assume you’re all still diligently showing up at the gym.
We’ve thrown together a list of some of our favorite tips for gym sessions to leave you feeling gorgeous from the inside out!
1. Multitask – As you sweat while working out, your pores open. The same principle that makes wearing foundation for a gym session a bad choice (a.k.a. clogged pore city), makes applying serum a great idea. Before you hit the gym, slather on some of your favorite brightening or anti-aging serum. The heat of your skin will up its efficacy. Try Tatcha Deep Brightening Serum, $150, or Nip & Fab No Needle Fix, $20.
2. Get Lippy – The combination of sweat, increased breathing, and swigging from a water bottle can lead to chapped lips. Before you start your workout, apply a generous layer of your favor lipbalm, the tackier (and therefore longer-lasting) the better! We love Omorovicza Perfecting Lip Balm (reviewed here), $35
3. Dry Up – Dry shampoos are your friend. If that transcendent spin class has you rushing to get to work, we highly recommend them. Rinse off in the shower, not wetting your hair. Then spray on some dry shampoo (we love Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk, $16), blast your roots with a hot blowdryer for a minute and brush our your refreshed locks.
4. Brush it Off – Dry brushing is a fantastic way to stimulate circulation and the lymphatic system, slough away dead skin and theoretically even improve cellulite. Grab a stiff, natural bristle brush (like this one from Yerba Prima, $8.50), and scrub in circular motions from shoulders to toes before hitting the shower, or before this next step.
5. Get Hot – If your gym—or, by some glorious means, your home—has a sauna, be sure to take advantage of it. It’s a great way to sweat out toxins and relax the muscles post-workout. The minerals released by sweating are great for the skin, and can prevent the breakdown of collagen—which means fewer wrinkles and firmer skin. It’s also an easy way to burn calories while unwinding. Just be sure not to unwind for too long. 10 minutes should be plenty for a session, and be sure to get out if you find yourself feeling lightheaded or dizzy.
6. Clean Up – It’s important to make sure the pores on your face get purged post workout. Sweat, particularly along the hairline, can lead to clogged pores. The Clarisonic is a great choice for a deep clean, and we love to pair it with Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip Cleanser, $45. Ahhhh.
7. Oil Down – Once you’ve had a sauna and shower session, slather a bit of oil onto slightly damp skin. This will lock in moisture and insure that your scrubbed skin is even softer. Neutrogena Body Oil, $13, absorbs quickly that you won’t have to hang around waiting to put on your clothes.
And, most importantly?
8. Hydrate before, during, and after your workout. Applying all the body oil in the world won’t do a lick of good if you’re not quenching yourself from the inside out.
Ready to get your gym bag ready for post-workout pampering? Here are the 6 beauty essentials the BSW team would include!
What are your favorite tips for working it while you’re working out? Share them in the comments!
Image: Vogue Paris
Feature image via.